Posted 19th January 2021
Be Sun Smart!
Did you know?
• Skin cancer accounts for the largest number of cancers diagnosed in Australia each year (1)
• An estimated 2 in 3 Australians will be diagnosed with skin cancer by the age of 70 (1)
• The more sun exposure during childhood, the greater risk of skin cancer later in life (2)
Sun Protection Myths
MYTH: A tan protects me from UV damage.
FACT: Tanning is a sign of skin damage and does not protect you against further damage. (4)
MYTH: It is not possible to get sunburnt on cool or cloudy days.
FACT: UV radiation can damage your skin on cool and cloudy days. Temperature is not a good indicator of UV levels and up to 80% of UV radiation passes through clouds. (5,6)
Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. Reapply frequently. Avoid prolonged sun exposure and wear protective clothing, hats and eyewear when exposed to the sun.
1. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2016. Skin cancer in Australia. Cat. no. CAN 96. Canberra: AIHW
2. Oliveria SA, Saraiya M, Geller AC, Henegahn MK & Jorgensen C 2006, ‘Sun exposure and risk of melanoma’, Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 91, no.2, pp. 131-138.
3. Gies P, van Deventer E, Green AC, Sinclair C & Tinker R 2015, Review of the Global Solar UV Index 2015 Workshop Report’, Health Physics, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 84-90.
4. Better Health Channel, Skin Cancer - tanning, 2018.
5. Young J 2016 ‘Six common sun myths exposed’, Bupa The Blue Room.
6. Better Health Channel, Sunburn, 2014.